Good toothpaste helps to whiten your teeth and refreshes your breath. However, other than that they are providing a lot of support to your teeth by reducing the sensitivity, strengthening enamel, and preventing your teeth from decaying.
One should choose the perfect toothpaste to have good and healthy teeth. Therefore, after deep research, we have picked some of the best toothpaste in India. Let us see the details of the best toothpaste in India with pros and cons.
How to Choose Perfect Toothpaste?
The perfect toothpaste can prevent other tooth problems and maintain your teeth health. Therefore, you must give more importance to choosing the perfect toothpaste. Perfect toothpaste must have these 3 properties given below.
- Approved by IDA
- The toothpaste must be approved by Indian Dental Association (IDA).
- Ensure that the toothpaste is not made in china because, in 2007, the FDA claimed that the toothpaste with the ‘Made in China’ label consists of the poisonous chemical diethylene glycol.
- Perfect amount of Fluoride
- Fluoride is an important ingredient in toothpaste because fluoride helps in preventing dental cavities.
- It also slows down the demineralization process of tooth enamel.
- Abrasive agents
- It is common that toothpaste is filled with at least 50% of abrasive agents.
- Abrasive agents will help to remove plaque and other problems like minimizing cavities and periodontal disease.
- Too much of anything is good for nothing, likewise, too many abrasive agents can cause damage to your enamel, and increase your tooth sensitivity.
How to Choose a Perfect Toothbrush?
A combo of perfect toothpaste and a perfect toothbrush can provide many benefits to your teeth.
The toothbrush must be comfortable to use so that it works well while brushing.
A perfect toothbrush can prevent your tooth from plaque and helps in deep cleaning, sensitivity, and whitening of teeth. The perfect toothbrush must have the following 3 qualities.
- Soft Bristles
- Your toothbrush must have soft bristles because sometimes hard bristles can cause bleeding in the gums.
- Hard bristles also pull back the gum tissue of your teeth that increases the sensitivity of your teeth when exposed to cold or hot foods and drinks.
- Perfect head size
- The perfect toothbrush size for most adults is 1-inch tall and half-inch wide.
- It is the easiest and effective head-size toothbrush for adults.
- Large handles
- Toothbrushes with large handles are effective to use and clean your teeth.
Reference link – DeltaDentalins
Common Ingredients Used in Toothpaste
Fluoride is one of the important minerals that is found in toothpaste as well as in water.
The amount of fluoride in water can vary from area to area but most of them consist of fluoride.
Fluoride is very useful in the dental field; it helps to fight and prevent tooth decay.
It also strengthens teeth enamel and helps in removing plaque. Fluoride is a very important ingredient in toothpaste.
Even children under age 3 can also use toothpaste with fluoride. Children under age 3 should use toothpaste that consists of 1000 ppm (parts per million) fluoride.
After that, they can use toothpaste with 1350 ppm to 1500 ppm fluoride.
Glycerol is used to keep the toothpaste from drying out and maintain the wetness of the toothpaste throughout its lifetime.
It is the main component that makes our toothpaste come out from the tube easily.
Without glycerol, the toothpaste will become harder and you may have difficulty in brushing your teeth.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recognizes it as safe but glycerol is allergic to some people. So if you are allergic to glycerol then consult your doctor before using it.
Glycerol is also called glycerine because both have the same chemical compound.
Reference link – ShelleyDentist
Sorbitol has a sweet taste and acts as a sugar replacement for diabetes patients.
Sorbitol is also found in fruits and plants that have diuretic and laxative properties.
Sorbitol is one of the ingredients that hold the toothpaste together (along with glycerol).
Sorbitol helps to sweeten the toothpaste but it does not cause cavities like sugar.
Sorbitol is the best alternative for sugar and has some extra uses other than sweetening.
Sorbitol is also one of the moistening agents that help the toothpaste to stay in a soft and smooth form.
Calcium carbonate is used as an abrasive agent in toothpaste. The abrasive agents help to remove bacteria, plaque, and stains from your teeth.
Calcium carbonate has been safe and used as a good abrasive agent since 1975.
All toothpaste that is made for whitening purposes contains more calcium carbonate.
The other abrasive agents are magnesium carbonate, phosphate salts, silicates, etc. but calcium carbonate is used mostly.
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
According to chemical safety facts, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is an efficient cleaning agent.
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is used in many cleaning products and also used to remove oil stains and residues.
It is one of the ingredients used in almost all toothpaste. It also helps to remove the food debris and other particles from your teeth.
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is responsible for foam that forms while brushing.
According to American Dental Association, the foam that forms while brushing is responsible for dissolving plaque and other accretions.
List of Best Toothpaste in India With Pros & Cons
1. Parodontax Clean Mint Toothpaste
Parodontax clean mint toothpaste consists of fluoride as an active ingredient.
Fluoride is useful in removing plaque and preventing tooth decay. This toothpaste will give you protection from cavities and gingivitis.
The primary function of this toothpaste is to stop bleeding gums. The mint flavor present in this toothpaste will make your breath more cool and refreshing.
- This toothpaste works very well for problems like bleeding gums, cavities.
- The mint flavor gives a more refreshing breath.
- It maintains your teeth and gums strong and healthy.
- It is more expensive than other toothpaste available in the market.
2. Bentodent fluoride-free natural Toothpaste
If you want chemical-free toothpaste then Bentodent toothpaste is the perfect choice for you.
This toothpaste does not have fluoride, an ingredient used in most toothpaste.
Along with fluoride, it does not have Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and Glycerine too.
If there is no Sodium Lauryl Sulphate then there will be no foam while brushing.
Even this toothpaste did not use these ingredients; it provides various benefits to your tooth.
It fights and prevents the bacteria that harm your enamel and gums. Artificial colors are not used in this toothpaste.
The spearmint essential oil used in the toothpaste gives you long-lasting fresh breath throughout the day.
- It is made up of natural ingredients so it is the perfect choice for allergic people.
- It does not have artificial colors and is free from other chemical ingredients.
- It provides a refreshing breath to the user.
- Even kids can use this toothpaste because of its chemical-free properties.
- We did not see any significant cons in this toothpaste according to price
3. Patanjali Dant Kanti Toothpaste
Patanjali Dant Kanti Toothpaste is useful in fighting many dental problems.
It is made up of natural ingredients like Vajradanti, Pudina, Haldi, Tomar seed oil, etc.
The most common review people give after using this toothpaste is that the paste has a strong and refreshing taste.
The herbal-filled toothpaste will help you to fight against tooth decay, cavities, etc.
Patanjali Dant Kanti Toothpaste mostly consists of natural ingredients so it will have fewer side effects to their user.
- It helps to tighten gums and strengthens the enamel.
- It protects your teeth by fighting against bacteria and germs.
- It mostly consists of natural ingredients so it is good for your teeth and health.
- It contains fluoride that is good for removing cavities but if you swallow the fluoride of the toothpaste then it may cause some side effects.
- The side effects include stomach pain, diarrhea, etc.
4. Himalaya Herbals Complete Care Toothpaste
Himalaya Herbals toothpaste protects your teeth and gums from bacteria.
It has antioxidants properties that help to remove toxins from your teeth.
The key ingredients of Himalaya Herbal toothpaste are Neem, Five-leaved chaste tree, False Black Pepper, Triphala, etc.
Other than antioxidants properties, it also has antibacterial and astringent properties.
The antibacterial property will keep the bacteria away from your teeth, while the astringent property will cleanse and tighten your gums.
- The main benefits of Himalaya toothpaste are removing plaque and treating bleeding gums.
- The other benefits of Himalaya toothpaste are toothache and bad breath.
- It prevents toothache and fights against germs, bacteria, etc.
- We did not see any significant cons in this toothpaste according to price.
5. Pepsodent Germi Check Toothpaste
Pepsodent is a widely used toothpaste in India. This toothpaste provides various benefits like protection from plaque and cavities.
It also provides 8 other scientifically proven benefits. This toothpaste gives protection up to 12 hours, that is you need to brush 2 times a day.
It provides better protection from cavities and removes plaque. Pepsodent germi check toothpaste consists of ingredients like calcium carbonate, sorbitol, fluoride, sodium lauryl sulphate, etc.
These ingredients are necessary to make good and effective toothpaste.
- It protects teeth from cavities, plaque, stains, etc.
- This toothpaste provides support to your gums.
- It eliminates the bad breath of your mouth then gives you fresh breath.
- It removes the stains and helps you to whiten your teeth.
- It contains a lot of chemicals so it is not a good choice for kids because they often swallow the toothpaste.
6. Closeup EverFresh+ Anti-Germ Gel Toothpaste
Closeup is also one of the popular toothpaste brands in India. Closeup EverFresh+ comes up with an anti-germ mouthwash formula that helps to fight against germs that reside in your teeth.
Closeup is always famous for its cooling and refreshing breath. This toothpaste consists of natural tea extracts and eucalyptus that make your mouth refreshed.
The active ingredients are sodium fluoride and it works well against cavities. The inactive ingredients are sorbitol, water, sodium lauryl sulphate, etc.
- This toothpaste gives refreshing and pleasant breath.
- It has anti-germ properties so it keeps germs and bacteria away from your teeth.
- It whitens your teeth and removes the stain from your teeth.
- It contains many chemicals like fluoride, sodium lauryl sulphate, etc so it is not advisable for children.
7. Sensodyne Toothpaste
This toothpaste is highly recommended by Dentists for patients with highly sensitive teeth.
This toothpaste consists of potassium nitrate and sodium fluoride as active ingredients.
Potassium nitrate is mostly used to decrease the sensitivity of your teeth and reduce tooth pain. Sodium fluoride prevents tooth decay and removes plaque. This toothpaste relieves and repairs the sensitive areas of your teeth. It has another ingredient called Novamin which also constitutes a lot in relieving sensitivity of teeth.
- The primary use of this toothpaste is to repair the sensitive areas of your teeth.
- Along with sensitivity repair, this toothpaste has other benefits of regular toothpaste which includes protection from germs and removing stains and plaque, etc.
- This toothpaste is not suitable for kids and children.
8. Dabur Herbal Neem Toothpaste
Dabur herbal neem toothpaste consists of neem, herbal extracts, calcium carbonate (derived from chalk), Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (derived from Palm Oil), etc.
It does not contain fluoride and paraben which makes them one of the good toothpaste available in the market.
This toothpaste consists of more neem that has antibacterial, antimalarial, antiviral, antifungal, and antioxidant properties.
Due to these properties, it is impossible for any type of bacteria and germs to reside in your mouth. Further, it also prevents new bacteria that enters your mouth.
- The presence of Neem provides complete protection against any type of bacteria.
- This toothpaste is free from paraben and fluoride.
- People with sensitive teeth can also use this toothpaste.
- We did not see any significant cons in this toothpaste according to price.
9. Dabur Meswak Fluoride-free toothpaste
Dabur Meswak toothpaste is fluoride-free toothpaste and consists of ingredients like miswak extracts, calcium carbonate, sorbitol, etc.
The miswak extract has many benefits like protection from plaque, bleeding gums, tartar, etc.
It also fights harmful bacteria and germs and prevents tooth decay and cavities.
This toothpaste has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and astringent properties.
It also removes the malodor (an unpleasant smell) of your mouth.
- Protection from cavities, tooth decay, and bleeding gums.
- It is free from fluoride and removes your bad breath.
- Prevent gingivitis by strengthening your gums.
- This toothpaste is only for adults and not for kids under age 3.
10. Colgate Strong Teeth Anticavity Toothpaste
Here comes India’s most popular and widely used toothpaste. This toothpaste is free from sugar and gluten.
When compared to other fluoride toothpaste, Colgate strong teeth anticavity toothpaste provides more strength to your teeth.
Like other toothpaste, this toothpaste also provides benefits like preventing tooth decay, gum diseases, etc.
Amino Shakthi is nothing but an arginine (a chemical building block of amino acid) with insoluble sources of calcium and fluoride.
- It provides more strength to your gums and enamel than other normal toothpaste.
- As the name suggests, it prevents cavities and strengthens your teeth.
- It controls calculus build-up and removes bad breath.
- It is not suitable for kids or children under age 6.